A set of twelve Dutch Louis XVI chairs and three fauteuils
Rectangular padded back, padded armrests, the frame carved wth beeded rim, raised on circular fluted legs. Provenance: Mozes en Aäron Kerk Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Officially the Roman Catholic Church of St. Anthony of Padua. The history of this church goes back to the "Alteratie" when secret churches sprang up everywhere, since Catholics no longer dared to hold services in public. In 1641 Father Boelenzs purchased the Moses and Aaron House in the Jodenbreestraat from a rich Jew and converted it into a church. In the course of time the church was enlarged, and it was consecrated in 1841, after its transformation into its present neo- Classical form by a Belgian architect Tieleman Franciscus Suys. Eventually, the parish of "Sint-Anthonius" was suppressed in 1969 but the church kept its official status. In 2014, after an interruption of 34 years, the church was reconsecrated, and the weekly Sunday mass was resumed, together with weekday prayer services.